zondag 31 augustus 2014

Today's Review: Boardwalk Empire Season 4



It sure has been a while, but I finally wrote another review, of a whole season of television no less:

http://www.moviescene.nl/p/156957/boardwalk_empire_seizoen_4_-_dvd_recensie

I have less and less time for fairly lengthy pieces like these. Considering I was on vacation I decided to take a crack at this one when it was offered to me. After all, you just have to find time every now and then for writing a piece that has the potential to be read by thousands. Sadly, the reviews on my blog don't count in that regard, as they're lucky to be read by more than three people (my mom doesn't even check them out, for heaven's sake!). Of course, recently I started aiming at writing reviews that I can post on IMDb in abbreviated form, but still, the use of taking the time and effort for such pieces is debatable considering my otherwise fairly busy existence. It kinda sucks for my blog, but it just doesn't have that much priority.

I had a blast watching this fourth season of the magnificent and hugely underrated HBO show Boardwalk Empire. Top-notch quality television like the previous seasons, despite a somewhat slow start (which is not unusual for HBO series). The only true downside of the thing is I received the DVD version rather than the requested Blu-Ray set, which means a breach in viewing style compared to the previous three seasons, which do grace my BD collection. Lesser video quality and a lower number of special features (saves time!) didn't hinder my appreciation of the show's fourth and penultimate season, as you'll find checking out the deservedly high rating I bestowed upon it. That said, I still have a tough time reviewing entire seasons of TV shows, considering there is so much to say about them. The piece already ended up longer than most similar reviews by the hand of my peers, but there's still plenty of material left unaddressed. I didn't even mention Michael Shannon's fabulous performance as former Prohee Nelson Van Alden in this run, which so poignantly mixes dark humour with social drama, as we follow the man's descent into a life of true crime which paradoxically finally makes him a likeable person. The show's tendency for wonderful team-ups of characters you would never see coming is also left largely unexplored, even though it formed one of the most enjoyable experiences this season. Reviewing seasons of television shows in an adequately limited number of words remains quite a challenge for me. I'm sure many readers won't be bothered by the frustrating results as much as I am myself though. Certainly not the small numbers who read it here.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten