donderdag 11 juli 2013

Today's News: LXG getting the TV treatment



Here's another bit of news I posted on MovieScene:

http://www.moviescene.nl/p/148484/tv-serie_the_league_of_extraordinary_gentlemen_in_de_planning

A TV show based off a graphic novel series, what will Fox think of next?! Just as is the case with their rivalry with Marvel Studios, Fox continues to be one step behind the more innovative and imaginative production companies. After all, shows adapted from comics have already been pioneered by others, most notably The Walking Dead, with Marvel now following suit with their S.H.I.E.L.D. series due this fall. Oh well, if there's quality involved, I will not complain about Fox being late to the game. But will there be? After all, Fox has already adapted The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (commonly referred to in brief as LXG) before for the big screen, exactly ten years ago to this week. Apparently it didn't prove a very faithful adaptation. I honestly wouldn't know, since I have yet to read the original LXG by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill (I can't read everything you know, and I'm currently still working my way, slowly but surely, through A Song of Ice and Fire). I must say, I enjoyed the movie for its fabulous look, its dynamic action scenes and its intriguing cast of characters, many of them played by notable character actors (Tony Curran, Stuart Townsend, Naseeruddin Shah, Jason Flemyng), but I agree a movie that changes the make-up of its story and characters and even adds one or two for its own purposes isn't very loyal to its source material. Hopefully Fox will do better in that regard this time around, though I fear that won't be the case, knowing it's penned and overseen by someone who wrote that hideous Green Lantern flick a few years back. It's not a good sign when a show based on a graphic novel is run by someone who hasn't shown to do justice to comic books when adapting them to an audiovisual medium before. However, let's not get too desperate before we know how the pilot has been received. That will still take a while, and in the meantime there's still plenty of good television, comic book based or not, to behold on the small screen. Too much good TV shows in fact these days, and only so little time! Can you blame me for not getting around to reading graphic novels anymore...?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten