maandag 15 april 2013

Today's News: more Star Trek Into Darkness stuff I'm not interested in

Recent news posted on MovieScene by me, myself and I:

http://www.moviescene.nl/p/146259/nieuwe_poster_en_tv-spot_star_trek_into_darkness



By now I doubt there's anyone I know that isn't aware of my contempt for the new Star Trek by J.J. Abrams. It's called "Star Trek", but it only bears the name, since in terms of content there's very little that is reminiscent to real Trek. Certainly not the social awareness, the politics, the science, the philosophy and all those other intelligent elements that made Star Trek into the beloved adult science fiction franchise it once was. Abrams' take on it is an overly bombastic and loud CGI-fest filled with lens flares and expensive visual effects to wow audiences (which is ever harder to accomplish, considering contemporary audiences are satiated by the possibilities of digital effects artistry), all the while ignoring what made Trek so special compared to the likes of Star Wars, which is downright science fantasy instead. In fact, Abrams' Trek was much more similar in tone and style to Star Wars than it was to real Trek, which is not so surprising, considering Abrams has never been a Trekkie but has been outed as an avid Star Wars fan on several occasions. Now that he is finally "moving up in the world", set to direct Star Wars Episode VII, I had hoped he would hand the Trek franchise over to someone who does actually care, but unfortunately that doesn'seem likely.

So why do I post news on a movie I have little hope for and would rather not see happen? Integrity. This was news and it had not been posted yet. I had the time to do so and nobody else was doing it. Plus, like it or not, I have some knowledge about this film and the people around it that might come in handy when posting bit of news like this. This will occasionally happen and I can either just accept it or whine about it 'till I look as green as an Orion slaver. I opted for the former. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or the one) after all. But I do not expect Abrams to understand such sentiments...


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten